Webinar – Beyond the Perimeter: Situating and Responding to Security Contracting Risks in and Around Mine Sites
April 8, 2021 •
Security arrangements for mining operations in fragile or conflict-affected contexts are complex and challenging. On 12th April, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Responsible Business Conduct Unit will host a webinar to discuss how standards such as the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights (VPSHR) and the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Mineral Supply Chains (OECD Guidance) can help address human rights risks related to security in and around mine sites. The webinar is being co-organised with the Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance (DCAF) to highlight key findings of the joint OECD, DCAF, and ICRC recent study (English) / (Français) on this topic.
Through this webinar, participants can:
- understand how the Voluntary Principles and OECD Guidance can increase their impact through joined-up action,
- discuss how to apply security and human rights standards in both large-scale mining (LSM) and artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) operations, and
- explore ways to link implementation of the VPSHR and the OECD Guidance on the ground through multistakeholder engagement with government, companies, and civil society.
Confirmed panelists include:
- Annie McGee, Head, Conflict Minerals and Private Security Team, UK FCDO (moderator)
- Louis Maréchal, Sector Lead, Minerals & Extractives, Centre for Responsible Business Conduct, OECD
- Alan Bryden, Head, DCAF Business and Security Division
- Mora Johnson, Head of Secretariat, Voluntary Principles Initiative
- Eric Kajemba, Director, Organisation Gouvernance et Paix (OGP) and head of the Voluntary Principles Working Group in South Kivu, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Brian Gonsalves, Vice President, Group Security and Human Rights, Anglo-American
- Alan Martin, Responsible Sourcing Manager, London Bullion Market Association (LBMA)
This webinar will be held as a side event of the OECD 14th Forum on Responsible Mineral Supply Chains, and is suited to companies operating in challenging security environments such as mine sites, governments, civil society organisations and other experts who are interested in responsible business conduct. It will be held in English and French with simultaneous translation available.
Date: Monday, 12th April 2021, 15:00 – 17:00 CET